[EN] 5 trends that in 2019 will transform industry as we know it
In this article we tell you some of the main trends that promise to revolutionize the manufacturing industry in the future, thought that in 2019 we might start noticing the first signals.
1. Internet of Things (IoT) and Cybersecurity
Through IoT, several industrial machines and devices might be connected to the internet or centralized systems, allowing the manufacturers to easily access to data-rich information regarding their production units. These might be used for facility management, production flow monitoring, inventory management and many other processes.
With IoT entering in the industrial sector, it is foreseen that manufacturers are more exposed to possible cyber-attacks, representing serious threats to their businesses. Therefore, the companies must develop in a continuous effort, new ways to safeguard their privileged information.
2. Augmented reality
It consists in the process of an overlay of digital graphics and images in real objects through a camera view, just like Snapchat filters or Pokemon Go!, for example. In industries, we will see this technology in the follow processes:
- Prototyping – manufacturers will use augmented reality in 2019 to place digital renderings of products in real life situations and test visual design and size, without building an expensive prototype;
- Testing – is set to become a big part of the augmented reality development. It will allow workers to overlay test data from sensors and machines to quickly view information where it is needed;
- Repairs – when a machine fails, it can be challenging to identify the root cause of the problem. By using workers devices, they can obtain instruction manuals, technical information and sensor information on the machine to help diagnose the problem and find a solution quickly;
- Training – augmented reality will play a significant role in companies’ training programs by showing detailed parts information and models on screen without having to touch the machine. This allows workers to learn everything they need to know before stepping out on to the factory floor.
Colaborative robots are growing in numbers, becoming more sophisticated, smaller, more intelligent and more integrated with human tasks.
Industrial robots will embody a Big Data Analytics component, i.e., they will play a key role in collecting a huge amount of data from the manufacturing activities, which it will be a very demanding challenge for the manufacturers to organizing and analyzing all this information.
4. Assets optimization
Predictive software will apply empirical models and processes’ knowledge, combining with the asset’s information, allowing an optimization of the assets for all the production and all the activity of the production unit. It will comprehend all the phases, since the investment capital, to the manufacturing operations, the reinvestment capital, and an eventual ending also. This software provides the companies process insights, predict failures, and obtain prescriptive actions to mitigate or prevent problems, building sustainable competitive advantage throughout the entire lifecycle of the asset.
In its article, Marcos Villa refers that the Blockchain technology was created in 2008 as a way to register all the transactions history (ex. Tranfers) made with the virtual coin Bitcoin.
Funds People website states that in a blockchain, the information is centralized from the logic point of view and decentralized from the physical point of view. The access to the data it’s instantaneous and it can be applied in real time. Also, the information is encrypted, i.e., its protected by a mathematical mechanism, which makes it impossible to pirate the property and transactions registry.
Marcos Villa refers that in the so called enabled network, companies are invited to share and register data from a product of a same blockchain: a factory can record project and production data, a logistics company can record transportation and storage data, clients can record data from its use, a technical assistance company can record support (corrective and preventive) data, and finally a waste treatment company can record the final destination of the product. All the transactions regarding a product are based in the same place.
In an overall analysis to these 2019 industry’s trends, the keyword more mentioned is “data”, which is also a great challenge. The companies that are capable of use technology to take advantage of those data in benefit of their businesses, will obtain more productive gains.